السبت، 30 أغسطس 2014

Clinical coding secrets (12)

Clinical coding secrets (12)

By Dr.Sedeek El Hakeem (MBBS, TQM, cert.CII, IFCE)

Today I’ll present a new dose of Clinical coding secrets, I have been abstracted them from my reading Australian Coding Standards and practicing Australian clinical coding(ICD10AM,ACHI) at a private general hospital (150 beds) in KSA
HYPERTENSION
When coding combinations of hypertension, heart and kidney disorders, it is important to distinguish if, and how, they are related.


HYPERTENSION
• Hypertension may cause heart and/or kidney disease.
• Hypertension may be caused by other conditions, including some kidney disorders.
• Hypertension and heart and kidney disease may be unrelated although they are present at the same time.
==HYPERTENSIVE HEART DISEASE (I11)
Certain heart conditions: 

I50.- Heart failure 
I51.4 Myocarditis, unspecified 
I51.5 Myocardial degeneration 
I51.6 Cardiovascular disease, unspecified 
I51.7 Cardiomegaly
I51.8 Other ill-defined heart diseases 
I51.9 Heart disease, unspecified 

are classified to category I11 Hypertensive heart disease when a causal relationship is stated (eg 'due to hypertension' or 'hypertensive'). In such cases, assign only a code from category I11.

The same heart conditions with hypertension, but without a stated causal relationship, are coded separately. Sequence according to the circumstances of the episode of care.
== HYPERTENSIVE HEART AND KIDNEY DISEASE (I13)
Assign codes from combination category I13 Hypertensive heart and kidney disease, when both hypertensive heart disease (I11) and hypertensive kidney disease (I12) are present. The term 'hypertensive' by default indicates that there is a causal relationship.

(See also ACS 1438 Chronic kidney disease).
== SECONDARY HYPERTENSION (I15)
Assign these codes when hypertension is stated to be 'due to' or 'secondary to' another condition, such as renal artery stenosis (I15.0 Renovascular hypertension) or phaeochromocytoma (I15.2 Hypertension secondary to endocrine disorders).

Assign also a code from N18.- Chronic kidney disease where I15.0 Renovascular hypertension or I15.1 Hypertension secondary to other kidney disorders are assigned (see also ACS 1438 Chronic kidney disease).

Today I presented a new dose of Clinical coding secrets; I hope this dose will help you to sail safely in the sea of clinical coding as you know coding translates medical service into money 
Next time I’ll provide a new dose of Clinical coding secrets

For more information contact me on
 @dr8q
sedeeks2011@gmail.com
0582128676

ليست هناك تعليقات: